HOW TO HAVE A HEALTHY ROAD TRIP
A blog post by: Alejandro Chabán
Vacation season is finally here and it is time to start planning a road trip with your family. Food plays a very important role here, so here are a few healthy tips for your next road trip:
Make a plan
First of all, create an itinerary with your family. Check the map to plan the stops you need to make. Include any bathroom breaks, time you need to stretch your legs, and of course, stops to eat. This will help you decide what to pack to make your road trip more comfortable.
What meals should you pack?
1. Foods that keep you hydrated
It is very important that you pack a lot of water to keep your body hydrated, especially during summer road trips. Tell your kids to help you choose which foods to pack and include the following to keep them hydrated:
• Long cut up slices of cucumber with lemon.
• Pieces of celery with peanut butter.
• Infused water with celery, cucumber, and cilantro.
2. Foods that give you energy
You should not waste energy during road trips, which is why you should limit the quantity of sugar you consume. Remember that too much sugars means frequent bathroom stops. However, your kids do need a moderate amount of carbs to maintain their energy levels. With the help of your kids, prepare the following:
• Mixed nuts. In a small plastic bag add some cranberries, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds.
• Make oatmeal cookies. You can mix oatmeal, almond milk, baking powder and 3 egg whites.
TIP: Only eat these in the morning.
• It is very important that you do not forget to bring your Meal Replacements. These will keep you energized and help you save time. Remember, Meal Replacements are only recommended for adults 18 and over.
3. Foods that give you strength
For a healthy and strong body, we recommend adding protein to all your meals. So, before leaving for your road trip, do the following:
• Boil eggs.
• Make a delicious ceviche to go. This will be easy to eat during any of your stops and you do not need to heat it up.
• Make a salad with tomatoes, lettuce, lime, peppers, and grilled chicken. Salads like this do not need to be heated up either.
Your transformation process does not have to be delayed because you’re going on vacation. Everything has a solution and planning ahead is better for everyone in your family to be happy and healthy