5 STEPS TO ACTIVATE YOUR LISTENING POWER
A blog post by: Alejandro Chabán
Can you remember the last time you talk to someone? Where you listening or hearing? Yes… Probably, hearing! We have that bad habit. While we talk with someone, our mind is thinking over a possible response, maybe judging, or disagreeing before she/he ends up talking.
I looked up listening’s meaning. It is ‘paying attention to something or someone.’ It is a voluntary action and implies intention.
Also, I looked up the word hearing, which means ‘perceiving a sound, with no intention.’
Simple. I prefer to LISTEN, instead of hearing.
Listening means LEARNING. Listening requires attention, understanding, and effort. It requires openness and transparency.
Leader prefers to listen. Listening to my mentors is a privilege that makes me grow and evolve.
WHY SHOULD WE LISTEN MORE?
- – Listening generates a positive environment.
- – It avoids misunderstandings.
- – You create an attitude of openness and respect towards the person you are talking with.
HOW TO DO IT? Techniques to activate the power to LISTEN
- Keep a visual contact
- Evaluate the body language of the person you are speaking with and the words he/she uses.
- Avoid interrupting.
- Let them finish
- Respond openly, respectfully and honestly
“Who doesn’t want to hear you won’t listen, not even if you scream. Whoever wants to understand you, would do so, even if you do not speak. ” – Jackson Brown